Friday, January 11, 2013

About God

I wanted to write my personal view on religion and God several times in the past, just one post that concentrates my thoughts on the whole issue and what is my position. I will start with the second.

Well, if you know me a bit you might assume that I am an Atheist. Personally, I would think in the past that maybe I am an Agnostic because I am not taking part in the whole Atheism movement and I don't really care whether God exists or not. But Agnosticism is believing that we cannot answer to that question. For once I believe that the God question is invalid and I will explain myself soon. Actually the definition of God is so vague and hard to touch that it doesn't play a role in my life. Recently, I've discovered the term Apatheism and at least one told me that this describes me. But I don't even care about using it, because I am not interested enough in the subject of God's existence, I have better things to do, more interesting (even philosophical) subjects to think about than an absolutely vague idea that you can't (or are not allowed) to touch.

The most funny thing, one that you don't even hear from either sides, is how come we think we are so smart, that not only we are able to answer whether God exists but we even assume certain properties and functions of this entity like they are axioms. God as a creator, God as a rightful being, God as a being of love, the all knowing God, etc. For example, a fair argument of an Atheist is that if God did exist then why are so many millions suffering? Based on the situation in the world, either God doesn't exist or he is the biggest asshole in the universe!

The counter arguments from a Theist would be that God has his own logic, his own ways or he just want us to have a free choice. But what both assume is the love/rightfulness property of God. They assume that not only do they know whether God exists or not but that his major business in the universe leans toward the good. Who told you that?

I remember some discussions about the intelligent extraterrestrial life and the funny assumption that if some of them would ever discover earth, maybe they would be so much more advanced than us, that we would look like cockroaches to them. It's still an assumption though, we really don't know anything about extraterrestrials (scientifically speaking, ignoring all the stories of alien visitation), we don't know how they would think or behave. So, how come the one and only God, the ultimate entity in the universe, would so curiously be interested in humans living in a tiny little rock somewhere in the middle of nowhere? Why do we even assume that the thing that we cannot even fathom will care about our ethics and how the hell do we know it understand ethics in the same way as most of us?

You know, there is that notion of our ancient Gods being really extraterrestrials and this is something I can touch. I am not saying it's true, I am only using it as an example. If beings really came down to earth and played the roles of our ancient Gods, they were not really Gods as in the abstract notion, but highly advanced civilizations that could be studied if we had the means. And yet they looked like Gods because their technology was like magic to the minds of the ancients. But once upon after hundreds or thousand of years humanity will evolve so much that we might have become just like our hypothetical alien Gods or even more advanced. So, there goes the notion of the unreachable God. And here is something that I can study. And that makes the Theist's notion of God so senseless to me. It's supposed to be the ultimate being, the unreachable, the one that science will never be able to study.

So, this is even impractical to me. Irrelevant to my life. Maybe that's why I found out that I am an Apatheist. But I don't like to say this. I don't want to be defined by a label. Yet, I can mostly identify with Atheists or Agnostics and most of my friends are closer to that. And maybe the notion of God is irrelevant to my life, but I do sometimes think positively about what Atheists are trying to do, because big masses of very fanatic people with dangerous toys could some day very soon be affecting all of our lives and this a scary thought.

But what can you do? This world is a mess. Millions of people believe strongly in religion, they were grown up with this and it's a very important part of their personality now. I think people will always believe in irrational things. No reason to be sad that most people think different than you. You can hardly change that, at best you can irritate them and that gives nothing positive. And I am currently not very interested to do it. I do not identify with Atheists that go into serious arguments with believers. If I was a Theist and you did that, it would be like you were trying to prove to me that I am an idiot. Who would listen to that?

p.s. I think that the biggest revolution, the one that could get us out of the religious mess of the modern world, would be if an important number of believers stand out against their own religious establishment. If the more wise or intelligent believers raise their voice, demand that religion should be something personal, not an established community that drives masses into fanaticism, not a reason for war or hate, not oppressed into children, not driving the bad of this world. And their voice being stronger and stronger, trying to talk sense to this world, that while belief is a personal thing, the fact that it makes people so fanatic and creates some of the most inhuman acts in the world, totally opposite than it's teachings, then this contradiction is the biggest evil in this world.

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page