Monday, August 03, 2009

The nature of socialization

I went with some friends to a beach bar. My mood was looking quite serious and somebody noticed it. He thought I was sad. Then fact was, my thoughts were racing through my head. They weren't thoughts about personal problems. They were thoughts about subjects I sometimes analyze with great passion and interest, yet not necessarily affecting me. I mean, there wasn't any burden with real life at that time, only positive things ahead. It was just that my brain decided to overload me with various ideas for me to analyze. And I was actually in the moods to do so. I just was in the wrong place and time.

I couldn't have fun. I couldn't take part in the social situations, I couldn't enjoy looking at girls, I couldn't relax. It just wasn't my time. Because trying to do so required at first to defocus, switch off my brain and join another state of mind. I couldn't enjoy the time but I knew it wasn't wrong. I knew that my brain wanted me to grab a subject and analyze it, stay in solidarity and talk to myself, sit in front of my computer and write a programm, sit in a chair and read a book or anything else that didn't fit the particular moment and time.

Later I went into the sea. I like the sea. Most people get into the sea for fifteen minutes and then stay out in the beach for hours. I like to be in the sea and go deeper where there are is a distance from people. I like to relax there for hours (of course I know the after effects) and stare at the horizon, floating over the waves, being alone and thinking. Actually talking to myself..

I don't exactly know why I am doing it. Maybe because it's more passionate and gets you focused when you are speaking it loud than thinking it. I always do the same thing in my lonely walks or at home. I try to be careful to do it when people are not around because I feel a bit weird. Some people have asked me why am I doing it? One has speculated that I am doing this because I feel lonely and I don't have anyone to talk and so I should find more friends. I recently found a very interesting explanation that defy this logic and is also based on my insights on the nature of regular socialization.



The big difference is:

  • Most people have a primary focus to socialize with other people and only use "objects" as means of socialization (social interest).

  • Few of us are passionate and focused on "objects" and want to talk with people who share the same interest about "objects" (actual interest).



Where "object" means hobby, science, philosophy, actual knowledge, understanding and will to get involved into the discussion upon the subject, not short reference of common opinions and ideas that are necessary pleasing to people or just used to present yourself or open a random discussion.



When I am talking to myself, it is because I am of the second kind. Speaking loudly and with passion has to do with my strong focus and interest on the subject. It's not about my need to speak to other people because then I wouldn't need to do this alone since people are everywhere and I could just start a casual talk if I wanted.

The interesting part here is to think of the elements of socialization. Socialization as we know it from the majority (because socialization could be any form of communication, even those weird ones that are not considered particularly "social"). The most common form is the one which I recently called casual socialization. What is there? Predictable talks. Casual chat. Jokes. And when the thing reaches the "object" it's just brief mentions of ideas and opinions just for the sake of socialization. The important here is that there is an easy and relaxing flow of words and ideas just to have a nice casual feeling of being with people and belonging somewhere. The belonging part is why there is a trend to mention well accepted, common, predictable ideas so that everyone else is noding his head and there is a feeling of safety that we are all similar in ideas (belonging) and have a good time. Of course some disagreements arise but then the ideas change from one subject to another and all process is going lightly (not obsessively).

When I join a social situation, I sometimes may get dragged into a certain talk because it happens to speak of a certain matter that interests me. Usually I am just a pure listener but if I manage to get into the discussion I may speak like crazy, not being necessary a fanatic (I may agree with the opinion and there may be no arguments) but sounding like so because I switch into a furious state that surely looks kinda weird, even... not considered "social". Social for them might mean to say something small, not get too focused on subject, like making a dribble and then throwing the ball to another person and not playing with the ball in the corner. There are actually some sceners in Breakpoint who told me that. They thought that I monopolize the discussion because I am an attention seeker. But I think the answer is another one.

I am getting too obsessed with the subject of the discussion that my thoughts are racing and I am getting in a furious state. Just like these blogs. I certainly believe it's a brain difference and it's getting really obvious from my various observations of myself or other people during social situations, it's also obvious from the size and analysis of my texts and my obsessive nature. It can't be like this because of bad personality or psychology. You don't avoid a social way of communicating that works because you are stubborn. It can't be a naive choice to be something that is not me. It is me!



It seems weird. It's because of my focus on the subject that makes the process of socialization entirely different for myself than what others expect. Sometimes I open a subject because I am truly obsessed with it. Someone responds, he just finds my subject useful as a bridge to communicate. But he later changes the subject. I thought he did that because he found the subject boring. But no. This is how the game is played. Later (if we are at a party) he leaves the discussions and moves to other people. I thought he found me boring. I was wrong. He has to go from one person to another one. It's logical. He wants to meet people, as many as he can. I want to find one person who is really obsessed with the same object I am to spend the hours discussing this together. A different kind of mentality.

There is nothing wrong with each of these different mentalities. Some people meet together for the sake of socialization (socialization as an end in itself) while others are in need to communicate their passion about a specific "object". The first group might have to do something with the "object" because it's their job and then forget it, while the second group is involved into the exploration and understanding of the "object" because they are obsessed with it (the "object" as an end in itself).

I think it all has to do with a different nature of the brain. The cases of people in the autistic spectrum who are focused or obsessed with specific hobbies while they don't fit very well socially might be a key to that difference. I am not sure yet if my case has to do anything with it but there seem to be some strong indications that I am not into this condition just because I was lazy or stubborn. At least I am certain that my thoughts are racing through my brain.

3 comments:

plob said...

Θα γράψω στα ελληνικά, γιατί δεν έχω αυτή τη στιγμή χρόνο να ανατρέχω κάθε φορά στο λεξικό.

Είναι απόλυτα αληθές, ότι οι νύξεις περί ιδεών, φιλοσοφίας ή άλλων πνευματικά έντονων (στην πραγματικότητα τους) δραστηριοτήτων, είναι απλώς μέσα για περαιτέρω κοινωνικοποίηση, τουλάχιστον στους περισσότερους ανθρώπους. Επόμενο είναι να εξαντλούνται αυτά τα ζητήματα σε κοινοτοπίες, και συγκαταβατικά συμπεράσματα. Το ζητούμενο είναι η εύρεση ενός αποδεκτού στην ομάδα συστήματος αναφοράς και όχι η αναζήτηση της αλήθειας. Πιο απλά, το σύμπερασμα που έβγαλες περί διαφορετικής φύσης του εγκεφαλου , είναι αρκετό για να διώξεις τις κοπέλες της παρέας, τις επόμενες φορές να αρκείσαι σε ένα "Όλοι οι άνθρωποι είναι μοναδικοί, και γοητευτικοί χάρη στη διαφορετικότητα τους" :P.

Πάντως να ξέρεις καμιά φορά μπορεί κάποια άτομα να υποκρίνονται πως συμφωνούν με τις κοινοτοπίες, παρ'ολο που κατέχουν σε περισσότερο βάθος τα πράγματα. Απλά παίζουν και αυτοί το παιχνίδι της κοινωνικοποίησης για να κερδίσουν ότι αυτό προσφέρει (γνωριμίες που μπορούν να αποβούν χρήσιμες π.χ. στην δουλειά ή στα γκομενικά). Υπάρχουν επίσης μερικά πολύ χαρισματικά άτομα, που έχουν εμβαθύνει σε πάρα πολλά πράγματα και μπορούν να αποκρυσταλώσσουν τις αναζητήσεις τους σε 2 κουβέντες που μπορούν να τις ρίξουν σε μια παρειστικη συζήτηση (και δεν μιλάω για θεώρηματα, και φιλοσοφικούς αφορισμούς).

Σε όποια κατηγορία και να σαι, το σύγχρονο lifestyle λεει πως πρέπει να φαίνεσαι και λίγο πνευματώδης, οοοοχι όμως κολλημένος, διακυρήσωντας πολλές φορές, με cool υφάκι, πνευματικές μπούρδες. Για τους σκύλους μια γωνία με γκαζόν είναι αρκετή για να λιαστούν όλοι μαζί χωρίς πολλά πολλά. Για τον παππού μου η ενασχόληση με τις ντομάτες και τις ελιές ήταν αρκετή για να είναι κοινωνικό ατομο. Σήμερα υπάρχουν μάλλον κάποια στάνταρ, που ίσως είναι πολύ σύνθετα για μένα, αλλά το ζητούμενο, κατά την ταπεινή μου άποψη, δεν απέχει πολύ εν τέλει από αυτό των σκύλων.

Optimus said...

Γενικώς συμφωνώ με όλα αυτά. Από μια φάση και μετά είχα αποφασίσει ότι ίσως πρέπει να παίζω το παιχνίδι της κοινωνικοποίησης. Δηλαδή ακόμα και αν έχω την τάση να ασχολούμαι με τα δικά μου, στις συζητήσεις να μιλάω για τα κοινότυπα. Αυτό που συνέβει είναι πως έμαθα να αποφεύγω την συζήτηση σε βάθος όταν καταλαβαίνω πως δεν αξίζει τον κόπο και δεν βοηθάει σε τίποτα. Περί φύσης εγκεφάλου και διαφορετικότητας και άλλα τέτοια δεν κάνω τον κόπο προφανώς να το συζητήσω με τις κοπέλες της παρέας ή οποιονδήποτε άλλο δεν φαίνεται να ενδιαφέρεται γιατί πέρα από αποθητικό δεν έχει και νόημα. Αν δεν ενδιαφέρονται ή δεν θέλουν να εμβαθύνουν σε κάτι εκείνη τη στιγμή δεν θα προσφέρει σε τίποτα μια ενβαθυμένη συζήτηση, ούτε στον κόσμο ούτε σε μένα. Όποτε σταμάτησα να ασχολούμαι. Παλιότερα είχα κάνει το λάθος να γνωρίζω π.χ. μια φοιτήτρια πληροφορικής και να τις μιλάω για την demoscene (όπως και με κάθε φοιτητή πληροφορικής). Οι περισσότεροι φοιτητές δεν θέλουν προφανώς να ασχολούνται με το θέμα των σπουδών τους σε ώρες διασκέδασης. Προφανώς.

Π.χ. όσον αφορά demoscene obsession, θυμάμαι που όταν έβρισκα οποιονδήποτε άρχιζα να του μιλάω σε excessive ρυθμό για την ενασχόληση μου και τι τρομερή και φοβερή είναι. Κάποιος μου είπε "Άμα ενδιαφέρονταν θα την γνώριζαν ήδη ή θα είχαν ασχοληθεί ήδη". Δεν είναι μόνο η απόθηση (ο άλλος ήρθε να γνωρίσει κόσμο και να κοινωνικοποιηθεί, όχι να κολλήσει σε ένα αντικείμενο για δύο ώρες) αλλά και το ότι έτσι και αλλιώς δεν έχει να τον οφελήσει σε τίποτα αυτή η συζήτηση. Ούτε εμένα. Αυτοί που έχουν obsession με το αντικείμενο θα βρεθούν μεταξύ τους. Άσε που τελικά κατάλαβα ότι και μέσα στη demoscene, π.χ. στο τελευταίο breakpoint, το casual στυλάκι (ακόμα και όταν η συζήτηση επικεντρόνεται στα demos) παίζει πάρα πολύ. Λίγοι είναι οι πραγματικά obsessed αλλά από την άλλη όπως λες και εσύ, πολλοί μπορεί να μην φαίνονται γιατί προσποιούνται κάτι άλλο. Δεν γνωρίζω τι παίζει. Μερικές φορές λέω για αστείο πως μπορεί ένα μεγάλο ποσοστό να μην είναι και τόσο normal απλά όλοι να παίζουν θέατρο.

Ωραία λοιπόν το να αποφεύγω να μιλάω για αυτά τα θέματα σε βάθος (και με το πάθος που με διακρίνει) όταν βρίσκομαι με casual (ή και μη) παρέες. Αυτό που μένει είναι να συμμετέχω στις casual συζητήσεις. Στην καλύτερη είμαι pure listener. Γενικότερα βαριέμαι. Σαν σκύλος και εγώ συναντιέμαι για να λιαστώ αλλά την ίδια στιγμή το μυαλό μου ταξιδεύει αλλού. Περιμένω πότε θα τελιώσει το λιάσιμο για να φύγω και να ασχοληθώ με τα δικά μου.

Ας είναι έτσι. Πάντως μερικές φορές σκέφτομαι πως αυτό που θα πρεπε να κάνω είναι να αφήσω τον εαυτό μου να ζήσει τα πράγματα όπως τα καταλαβαίνει και να μην τα αναλύω και πολύ. Βέβαια αυτή η ανάλυση είναι και κάτι που τραβάει το μυαλό μου αλλά ταυτόχρονα και εμμονή. Αν ακολουθήσω αυτόν τον δρόμο λοιπόν, να κάνω αυτό που καταλαβαίνω και αυτό που με ευχαριστεί και μου ταιριάζει περισσότερο, πάλι θα ακολουθήσω διαδρομές που μπορεί να προκαλέσουν αντιδράσεις. Αντί αυτές οι αντιδράσεις να κάνουν trigger τα κόμπλεξ μου ξανά περί normality και να ξαναγυρίσω πίσω στην ανάλυση των εμμονών μου, εγώ να αγνοήσω και να συνεχίσω. Στην καλύτερη να αστειευώ ή να μπερδέψω τον κόσμο που με κρίνει για να χαλαρώσω το κόμπλεξ. Αφού όλο το παραμύθι είναι ένα θέατρο γιατί να το πέρνω εγώ στα σοβαρά; Μάλλον θα πρέπει να παίξω το παιχνίδι τους με τον δικό μου τρόπο. Εκτός αν με πιάσουν οι εμμονές πάλι..

Stephanie Lynn Keil said...

"I like the sea. Most people get into the sea for fifteen minutes and then stay out in the beach for hours. I like to be in the sea and go deeper where there are is a distance from people. I like to relax there for hours (of course I know the after effects) and stare at the horizon, floating over the waves, being alone and thinking. Actually talking to myself.."

I do the same thing! I live about 30 minutes from the beach and just love to go to my special spot, go in the waves and float over them, perhaps close my eyes or watch the seagulls fly over me or the clouds.

I responded to a comment you left on my blog about socialization and communication. It should be the most recent entry.

Locations of visitors to this page