Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Occam's razor


- Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is always the best.

- And you think one is simpler than two?
- Pretty sure it is, yeah.

- Baby shows up. Chase tells you that two people exchanged fluids to create this being.

- I tell you that one stork dropped the little tyke off in a diaper. Are you gonna go with the two or the one?
(from House M.D.)


DOGGETT: You're familiar with the principle of Occam's Razor?
SCULLY: Yeah, you take every possible explanation and you choose the simplest one. Agent Mulder used to refer to it as Occam's Principle of Limited Imagination.
(from X-files)

Hahaha!!! I really enjoy these quotes :)



For some reasons I find it annoying every time someone casts the notion of Occam's razor. It's like they refer to some punditry concept which has to make you shut the fuck up without an explanation. "What you say is wrong because... Occam's razor!". Occam's razor pervades everything you say. It's not clever anymore. It's so trendy as that Einstein quote that we use the 10% of the brain or something. Duh :P

Don't get me wrong. I might have used the razor several times in my life. First of all in my attempt to seek some truth which is as close to... true as possible. I had to wipe out all of which I had been taught since childhood and start with nothing (But what seems more simple? My notion that we are living in a great complicated delusion? Or the fact that life is plain and simple and it's just me who are making it fuzzy? Doh, I guess even the notion of simplicity isn't simply defined afterall :P). Even my current opinion that neither god nor a meaning in this universe exist but it's all our creations and we have to wipe out every thing we were raised to believe in order to discover what's behind the mask, is actually using mr.Occam :P

So yes, it's a philosophical system they say (not a proof). But most skeptics always use to pray on it solely. It really gets annoying as this is the only thing they have to say! I have another concept that explains it nicer. It is the idea that at the end it's all about belief (should I call it the belief razor or the Optimus razor? ;). Regardless if you are skeptic or a paranormal nut. Occam's razor, always pointed out towards anything that goes out of the ordinary, is just a classy way to justify their dis/belief.

As for me, I will continue to be greatly entertained each time when something proves to me that the simplest explanation is not always the most possible.

p.s. We need more than lame reciting of Occam's razor and then resting the case..

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page